NVIS Day, 2021
It’s coming! Ohio NVIS Day 2021 will be held April 24, Saturday, from 10AM until 4PM EDT.
The purpose of NVIS day is to construct and try various antenna ideas, all working as NVIS (Near Vertical Incident Skywave) antennas. These antennas are low to the ground and provide coverage generally within a 400 mile radius- extremely important for regional HF communications in an emergency.
This year, we take a big step forward and build upon the concept to answer the question, “How would we actually use these antennas?”
For 2021, we have added a couple operating scenarios that will make your day more fun and be a learning event for actual disaster communications. We propose a commercial power blackout, with the need to communicate within your ARES district and to ‘The Sarge” at the Ohio EOC in Columbus. Here’s the deal:
- The event runs from 10 AM until 4 PM local time.
- Stations will construct and test NVIS antennas.
- Transmit power is limited to 100 watts.
- Power for the station will be any form of “off-grid” supply: typically generator, battery or solar or whatever form you might have in an emergency setup.
- Stations may test antenna coverage as in the past by contacting as many different locations as possible.
- Stations will originate a message to their ARES District net and to W8SGT reporting their location.
- This message may take any form: ARRL message form or any other can be used, doesn’t matter. If you’re going to use the traffic system, ARRL message form is recommended.
- The message should contain the call sign, operating location (include county) and number of operators. Any other brief antenna information is optional but appreciated!
- Contact with the District net may take place on VHF or HF (Repeaters OK).
- Operating frequencies are proposed to be in the 80 and 40 meter bands. Voice is preferred for testing. Digital messages may be passed to OHDEN or Buckeye Net as available.
- Optimum frequencies centered around but not limited to: 3.902 and 7.240
- Digital OHDEN frequency: 3585 (typical is Olivia 8/500)
- If additional exercise is desired, try 60 meters, Channel 5493.5 for voice and digital
You can create your own log (Excel preferred) or use the attached format. Be sure to include a photo of your group or your antenna! Submit your results to firstname.lastname@example.org
Have fun! Take a lunch break! I hope to hear you!!